The VCBG is committed to providing members with factual, reliable and timely information regarding COVID-19 and its potential impact on Virginia’s craft beer industry, its employees and its supply-chain.
April 3 – VCBG hosted the first of a series of weekly all-member webinars dedicated to the COVID-19 response. Bill Walton from the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) and Chris Van Orden from the Virginia Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provided information about employment and Small Business Administration (SBA) financing. View the VCBG’s presentation here. View SBDC’s presentation here.
April 3 – US OSHA provided enforcement guidance related to wearing protective equipment during the N95 shortage. View their press release here. They also issued guidance related to wearing protective equipment certified in other countries or jurisdictions. View that guidance memo here.
March 23 – ABC approved VCBG Regulatory Relief Request regarding the Off-Premise “Novel or Unusual Container” Definition. View a list of acceptable containers in item #11 of this report.
March 20 – VCBG submitted to VA ABC their Regulatory Relief Request regarding the Off-Premise “Novel or Unusual Container” Definition.
March 19 – VA ABC revised decision and waived permit application requirements for all brewery delivery permits.
March 19 – VCBG hosts member webinar to review “Phase 1” regulatory relief proposal, industry best-practices and get an update on Federal affairs from Brewers Association. Special guest – Bob Pease, CEO, BA. View or listen to recorded webinar here.
March 19 – Virginia is made eligible for SBA Disaster Assistance Loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Criteria for financing includes:
- Eligibility – The applicant must be physically located in a declared state/county and suffered working capital losses due to the declared disaster.
- Credit History – Applicants must have an acceptable credit history.
- Repayment – Applicant must demonstrate the ability to repay the SBA loan. The interest rates are 3.75 percent for small businesses and 2.75 percent for nonprofit organizations, with terms up to 30 years. More information can be found at SBA’sCOVID-19 Disaster Assistance Loanpage. Look for local assistance near you – view the map.
March 19 – Tax payment news:
- Sales Tax Payments may be deferred until April 20, if requested from the state. There will be no penalties and the General Assembly will be asked to repeal interest payments required by this deferral.
- State Corporate and Individual Income Tax Payments due May 1 will be deferred until June 1 and penalties and interest will be waived pending General Assembly approval.
March 19 – US Department of Homeland Security, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), released Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce.
March 18 – VCBG submits its final “Phase 1” state regulatory relief proposal to Governor Northam.
March 18 – BA calls upon Congress for a $3 billion in mitigation funding due to brewery closures.
March 18 – VCBG Leadership Council meets to finalize best-practice advisory for off-premise sales/tasting room regulation and identify “novel containers” for disposable off-premise sales authorization from VA ABC.
March 17 – ABC expedites Delivery Permit Approvals to 24 hours; Provides approval of curbside/parking lot off-premise sales for breweries.
March 17 – VCBG Leadership Council meets to develop initial state regulatory relief proposal to submit to Governor Northam. Identifies brewery operations and supply-chain designation as “essential services” as critical priority. Develops best-practice advisory for off-premise sales/tasting room regulation.
March 17 – VMA, VCBG, NFIB and VA Retail Federation host Coalition for a Strong Virginia Economy conference call to discuss COVID-19 industry response.
March 17 – VCBG participates in COVID-19 conference call with Northam Administration to discuss potential assistance and next steps to slow the spread of the infection.
March 16 – VCBG participates in national Guilds COVID-19 response conference call.
March 16 – VCBG submits initial regulatory relief concepts to Northam Administration and VA ABC.
March 16 – State Corporation Commission (SCC) issued 60 Day Suspension of All Disconnections.
March 12 – Virginia Governor Ralph Northam Declares State of Emergency, Outlines Additional Measures to Combat COVID-19.
Prevention and Response Recommendations
- No public gatherings greater than 10 people.
- Maintain a 6-foot separation between employees as well as customers or contractors.
- 90-day moratorium on growler refills. Use crowlers and disposable containers as approved by VA ABC.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Stay home when you are sick or have been exposed to someone that is sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces regularly. Use available time to train on industrial hygiene and safety standards. See online VCBG Quality & Safety Certification.
- Use facemask and other PPE as directed, particularly with off-premise sales customers. CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; after touching machinery or vehicles; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. CDC’s handwashing website features more information about why and how to wash hands.
(Sources: Virginia Executive Order 51; CDC; VCBG, 2019.)
Governor Northam’s latest COVID-19 executive actions and press release identifying manufacturing operations as “essential services”:
- VA Order of Public Emergency 1 – public gathering regulation.
- Executive Order 51 – public gathering restriction.
- Executive Order 53 – temporary restrictions on Virginia businesses. View the FAQ here.
- Executive Order 55 – temporary Stay at Home Order due to COVID-19
- Manufacturing Operations Identified as “Essential Services” Press Release.
Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR):
- Temporary Waiver of Regulations to Extend Validity of Expired Licenses, Certifications, Registrations and Other Authorizations
- Temporary Waiver of Regulations to Extend Examination Eligibility Deadlines
Virginia Department of Health:
Virginia Unemployment Insurance & COVID-19 FAQ – Information from Governor Northam’s Office.
Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)
Virginia Small Business Development Center (SBDC) –
- COVID-19 Resources for Small Businesses
- What You Need to Know About SBA’s Disaster Loan
- What You Need to Know About the CARES Act
- Virginia SBDC locations
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- COVID-19 page.
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers.
- Communications Resources.
- COVID-19 Symptoms.
US Department of Homeland Security – Guidance on The Essential Critical Infrastructure.
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19.
- Enforcement Guidance for Respiratory Protection and the N95 Shortage Due to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic.
- Enforcement Guidance for Use of Respiratory Protection Equipment Certified under Standards of Other Countries or Jurisdictions During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic.
US SBA – COVID-19 Disaster Assistance Loan.
- Look for local assistance near you.
- SBA Loans Overview
- SBA Coronavirus Pandemic Disaster Loans Comparison Sheet.
US Treasury Department – CARES Act – Paycheck Protection Program Overview
US Department of Labor – Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Questions and Answers
America’s Small Business Development Center – SBA Coronavirus Pandemic Disaster Loans Comparison Sheet.
US State Department – guidance on domestic and international travel.
Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)
- Tips for Timely Processing of TTB Approvals and Requests During COVID-19 Emergency
- Updated Hand Sanitizer Guidance to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Returns of Products Purchases for Events Cancelled Due to COVID-19
- Tax Payment and Other Filing Due Dates Postponed for Industry Members Affected by COVID-19
Industry Best Practices and Resources
Virginia Craft Brewers Guild
- COVID-19 Model Action Plan for Manufacturers.
- Model Remote Work Policy.
- Essential Services Justification DRAFT Letter – this can be adapted for any audience.
- COVID-19 MFG Best-Practices. VCBG’s Facebook page has been converted to an industry best-practices and supply-chain referral resource.
- WestRock “Can Shipper” Service is available for delivery needs. Learn more here.
- Crystal Clean is offering a full COVID-19 Decontamination Service. Learn more here.
- Member Benefits & Employee Rewards:
- Corporate Shopping – Employee Discounts at the World’s Best Brands.
- OfficeMax – Employee Discount Purchasing Card and Delivery.
- Microsoft – Employee Discounts.
- Employee Online Training & Certification:
- Safety Training – Member Discounts.
- Certifications and Assessments – Member Discounts.
- Insurance Services – Risk Mitigation Review and Coverage Rebalancing. For more information, contact Ian Ginger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Events & Meetings – all upcoming meetings will be converted into teleconferences and video conferences/webinars. The Virginia Craft Beer Cup and Virginia Craft Beer Conference & Gala will be rescheduled for July or August if required. The RR Craft Beer Fest will be rescheduled for September 11 or 12. For more information, contact Ian Ginger or Kaitlyn Crow or visit www.vacraftbeer.com.
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has specific information for businesses, healthcare, laboratories, transportation, and more for responding to and preventing COVID-19 infections.
Brewers Association also offers a COVID-19 Resource Center.