Out of 356 beers from across the state, the Virginia Craft Brewers Guild recognized 25 creations from Northern Virginia in the 2017 Virginia Craft Beer Cup Awards.
The awards ceremony was held Monday in Richmond. Judging took place last month at Fair Winds Brewing Company in Lorton.
The Virginia Craft Beer Cup is the largest state competition of its kind in the United States, according to a guild release.
“The Virginia Craft Beer Cup recognizes brilliant independent craft beer and the creativity of the brewers that make it all happen,” guild President and CEO Brett Vassey said. “Congratulations to all the teams that competed in this year’s Cup.”
Area winners included a second place finish in the Best of Show competition for Old Ox Brewery and its Black Ox porter, which also won first place in the American Porter and Stout category.
Other first place winners included Heroic Aleworks for its Max Nix ale, Barrel Oak Farm Taphouse’s BOFT IPA, Caboose Brewing’s Crossroads lager, Lost Rhino Brewing’s Rhino Chasers lager, Port City Brewing’s Essential Pale Ale, Capitol City Brewing’s Amber Waves, Beer Hound Brewery’s Kujo ale and Lake Anne Brew House’s New Year’s Golden Ale.
The local 2017 Virginia Craft Beer Cup honorees include:
- Best of Show, Second Place: Old Ox Brewery, Black Ox, Ashburn
- Pale Better European Beer, Third Place: Mustang Sally Brewing Company, Dortmunder Lager, Chantilly
- Pale Malty European Lager, Second Place: Fair Winds Brewing Company, Hells Navigator, Lorgon
- Pale Malty European Lager, Third Place: Strangeways Brewing, Helles Frozen Over, Fredericksburg
- Amber and Dark European Lager, First Place: Caboose Brewing Company, Crossroads, Vienna
- Czech Lager, First Place: Lost Rhino Brewing Company, Rhino Chasers, Ashburn
- Czech Lager, Second Place: Adventure Brewing Company, Classic Lager, Stafford
- Czech Lager, Third Place: Port City Brewing Company, Downright Pilsner, Alexandria
- British Pale Ale, Second Place: Red Dragon Brewery, Cook Lane, Fredericksburg
- British Pale Ale, Third Place: Lake Anne Brew House, Lord Fairfax English Pale Ale, Reston
- Brown British Ale, First Place: Heroic Aleworks, Max Nix, Woodbridge
- Brown British Ale, Second Place: Lake Anne Brew House, Beer Run Recovery Ale, Reston
- Dark British Ale, Second Place: Crooked Run Brewing, Dulce De Leche, Leesburg
- Strong British Ale, Third Place: Heritage Brewing Company, Kings Mountain, Manassas
- Pale American Beer, First Place: Port City Brewing Company, Essential Pale Ale, Alexandria
- Amber and Brown American Beer, First Place: Capitol City Brewing Company, Amber Waves, Arlington
- American Porter and Stout, First Place: Old Ox Brewery, Black Ox, Ashburn
- IPA, First Place: Barrel Oak Farm Taphouse, BOFT IPA, Delaplane
- Strong American Ale, First Place: Beer Hound Brewery, Kujo, Culpeper
- Belgian Ale, First Place: Lake Anne Brew House, New Year’s Golden Ale, Reston
- Belgian Ale, Third Place: Port City Brewing Company, Optimal Wit, Alexandria
- Historical, Alternative and American Wild Ale, Second Place: Spencer Devon Brewing, Ol’Goseanna, Fredericksburg
- Wood Aged and Smoked Beers, Third Place: Maltese Brewing Company, Barrel Aged Joe’s Stout, Fredericksburg
- Fruit Beer, Second Place: BadWolf Brewing Company, Mother Pucker, Manassas
- Specialty Beer, Third Place: Fair Winds Brewing Company, Siren’s Lure, Lorton